The natives have been doing it for years, but new threats like the Chikungunya virus make mosquito control even more important. If you already live in Puerto Rico, or are planning on traveling or moving to Puerto Rico, it’s important to consider purchasing mosquito control products to keep yourself and your family safe from disease and to make your life more comfortable.
Mosquitoes in Puerto Rico
One thing you absolutely need to consider in Puerto Rico is how you are going to deal with year-round mosquitoes. They are less prevalent in the winter months, but still exist! Mosquitoes are not only a nasty pest, they carry diseases, currently in an epidemic status on the island—especially in densely populated San Juan. Chikungunya and Dengue Fever are viral diseases that cause fever, sever joint pain and other symptoms, including death for certain individuals.
If you plan to rent or buy a house in Puerto Rico, or even if you are considering a short vacation, one of the most important things you need to plan for is how to keep yourself free from mosquitoes both indoors and outdoors. We put together a list of low cost, DIY and more expensive products that will help you keep yourself safe from bites. If you already use these products, or have a better way of dealing with mosquitoes, let us know your experience dealing with mosquitoes in Puerto Rico in the comment section at the bottom of the page.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links which don’t affect your purchase. If you do make a purchase, it may buy us a cup of coffee to keep writing good content for our readers!
Mosquito Protection Basics
- Wear loose clothing that covers your arms and legs
- Wear mosquito repellent
- Don’t bother with electric bug zappers–they mainly kill moths
- Mosquitoes are the worst in the early evening and mornings
- Mosquitoes are more prevalent near standing water, after rain, and near overgrown brush
- Clear away any items that hold pooling water from around your home
Mosquito Control DIY
- The yeast + sugar trap (we tried this without success, but some people swear by it)
- The screen over a fan trap (our favorite diy gadget—catches fruit flies too!)
- Make your own natural bug repellent (smells great and works pretty well)
Low-Cost Mosquito Control
- Our favorite hand-held zapper from DynaZap (we tested 5 brands!)
- Mosquito Bits–to add to standing water & prevent eggs from hatching
- The good old mosquito net—a must for protecting babies and small children
- The camping hammock with mosquito net–to sway in the breeze stress free
- Simba Baby/Kids mosquito bracelets–for when you can’t be there every second
- Cutter Mosquito Repellant Wipes—great for keeping in your purse
Big Ticket Mosquito Control
These may cost more, but if you plan to spend a lot of time outdoors enjoying your yard, they are a necessity! Note: Amazon will not ship these items to Puerto Rico. Contact the manufacturer directly.
- Burgess Propane Fogger–great for events
- Mosquito Magnet Mosquito Trap–continuous protection
- Blue Rhino Mosquito Vac–continuous protection (our favorite!)
We hope you found our list useful and have some great products and ideas to control mosquitos in your home!
Did we miss something? How do you control mosquitoes in your home? Comment below!