My husband and I visited Pikayo, located in the Condado area of Puerto Rico, for the first time this week. We made reservations for our anniversary and were looking forward to some not-so-typical Puerto Rican food.
Since it was our first time, we tried the tasting menu which has a sampling of dishes from the regular menu in a smaller size ($75pp)—along with the wine pairing ($35pp). We added one dish from the menu that we really wanted to try.
Pikayo is definitely a special occasion restaurant and pricey, with entrees in the $40+ range and apps running just under $20.
Here are the dishes we tried:
- Foie Gras Terrine, Sofrito Jam – Tasting Menu
- Tuna Tartare with Jalapeno, Wasabi Tobiko and Cold Yuzu Miso Broth — $17 from the regular menu
- Saffron Lobster Risotto, Spicy Chorizo & Sweet Peas – Tasting Menu
- Branzini, Sunflower Sprouts, Heirloom Tomatoes, Shallot Escabeche – Tasting Menu
- Squab Breast, Creamy Polenta, Veal Glace & Balsamic Vinegar Reduction – Tasting Menu
- Coconut Bread Pudding, Rum Crème Anglais – Tasting Menu
Pikayo Restaurant Review
The restaurant was lovely and comfortably decorated, and the service was excellent at Pikayo. The one hiccup was that my husband requested something a little special for our anniversary and they didn’t do anything. Usually restaurants add a special touch, like rose petals or a little happy anniversary touch on the dessert. That’s okay though.
Most importantly, the food was excellent. The dishes arrived quickly and were presented beautifully. Everything was consistently good. The terrine was buttery, the tartare was divine (my favorite), the risotto was light and full of lobster, the fish was cooked expertly and the squab was full of flavor with a nice crispy skin.
We both look forward to visiting Pikayo again to try other items on the menu and highly recommend trying this restaurant — Chef Wilo Benet is certainly one of the top chefs in Puerto Rico and beyond.
Located at The Condado Plaza Hilton in San Juan
Avenida Ashford 999
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00907
GPS Coordinates: 18.461173, -66.080918